Professor Alistair Moffat
- Information retrieval and web search
- Data structures and algorithms for compression
- Data structures and algorithms for string search
Alistair Moffat completed a BSc(Honors) and PhD in 1979 and 1986 respectively, both at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. Since then he has been a member of the academic staff at the University of Melbourne, where he holds an appointment as Professor of Computer Science (2002). Alistair was Head of the University's Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering for a five-year term from 2007 to 2011, and Associate Dean (Curriculum) in the Melbourne School of Engineering during the period 2007-2009.
Alistair has extensive research interests in the areas of text and index compression, source coding methods, and information retrieval. He is an author of three books (Managing Gigabytes, 1994 and 1999; Compression and Coding Algorithms, 2002; and Programming, Problem Solving and Abstraction with C, 2003); and of more than 150 refereed technical papers. Alistair has also served roles as Chair and Program Chair of a range of conferences, and as an Associate Editor of research journals, including Journal of Information Retrieval, and ACM Transactions on Information Systems.
Alistair was awarded an Australian Carrick Citation for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the first round of these awards in 2006, and has also been recognized within the University for his teaching contributions. In 2010, he received a Teaching Award from the Melbourne School of Engineering for excellence in teaching, and in recognition of his role as principal architect of the School of Engineering's response to the Melbourne Model changes undertaken between 2006 and 2009.
Alistair has served a term on the ARC College of Experts (2003-2005); was a member of the 2012 New Zealand PBRF Panel; and has been a member of a wide range of review and accreditation committees, both internal and external to the University.
- Graham Y, Baldwin TJ, Moffat A, Zobel J. Is Machine Translation Getting Better over Time?. Proceedings of the 14th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics. ACL Anthology. 2014.
- Lim C, Moffat A, Wirth AI. Lazy and Eager Approaches for the Set Cover Problem. Proceedings of the Thirty-Seventh Australasian Computer Science Conference. Australian Computer Society. 2014, Vol. 147. Editors: Thomas B, Parry D.
- Moffat A, Gog S. String search experimentation using massive data. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A - Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. Royal Society of London. 2014, Vol. 372, Issue 2016.
- Scholer F, Moffat A, Thomas P. Choices in Batch Information Retrieval Evaluation. Proceedings of the 18th Australasian Document Computing Symposium. ACM Press. 2013, pp. 74 - 81. Editors: Culpepper JS, Sitbon L, Zuccon G.
- Graham Y, Baldwin TJ, Moffat A, Zobel J. Crowd-Sourcing of Human Judgments of Machine Translation Fluency. Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop 2013. ACL Anthology. 2013, Vol. 11. Editors: Karimi S, Verspoor K.
- Petri M, Culpepper JS, Moffat A. Exploring the Magic of WAND. Proceedings of the 18th Australasian Document Computing Symposium. ACM Press. 2013, pp. 58 - 65. Editors: Culpepper JS, Sitbon L, Zuccon G.
- Moffat A. Seven Numeric Properties of Effectiveness Metrics. Information Retrieval Technology. Springer Verlag. 2013, Vol. 8281, pp. 1 - 12. Editors: Banchs RE, Silvestri F, Liu T-Y, Zhang M, Gao S, Lan J.
- Gog S, Moffat A. Adding Compression and Blended Search to a Compact Two-Level Suffix Array. String Processing and Information Retrieval. Springer Verlag. 2013, Vol. 8214, pp. 141 - 152. Editors: Kurland O, Lewenstein M, Porat E.
- Graham Y, Baldwin TJ, Moffat A, Zobel J. Continuous Measurement Scales in Human Evaluation of Machine Translation. Proceedings of the 7th Linguistic Annotation Workshop & Interoperability with Discourse. ACL Anthology. 2013, pp. 33 - 41.
- Thomas P, Scholer F, Moffat A. Fading Away: Dilution and User Behaviour. Proceedings of the 3rd European Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval. 2013, Vol. 1033. Editors: Wilson ML, Russell-Rose T, Larsen B, Hansen P, Norling K.
- Canovas R, Moffat A. Practical Compression for Multi-Alignment Genomic Files. Proceedings of the Thirty-Sixth Australasian Computer Science Conference. Australian Computer Society. 2013, Vol. 135, pp. 51 - 60. Editors: Thomas B.
- Moffat A, Thomas P, Scholer F. Users versus models: what observation tells us about effectiveness metrics. Proceedings of the 22nd ACM International Conference on Information & Knowledge Management. ACM Press. 2013, pp. 659 - 668.
- Thomas P, Scholer F, Moffat A. What Users Do: The Eyes Have It. Information Retrieval Technology. Springer Verlag. 2013, Vol. 8281, pp. 416 - 427. Editors: Banchs RE, Silvestri F, Liu T-Y, Zhang M, Gao S, Lan J.
- Allan J, Croft B, Moffat A, Sanderson M. Frontiers, Challenges, and Opportunities for Information Retrieval: Report from SWIRL 2012. SIGIR Forum. ACM Press. 2012, Vol. 46, Issue 1, pp. 2 - 32.
- Moffat A, Scholer F, Thomas P. Models and Metrics: IR Evaluation as a User Process. Proceedings of the 17th Australasian Document Computing Symposium. ACM Press. 2012, pp. 47 - 54.
Level: 09 Room: 9.26
Doug Mcdonell Building, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83441325
F: +61 3 93494596
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile