Professor Alistair Moffat
- Data structures and algorithms for compression
- Data structures and algorithms for string search
- Information retrieval and web search
Alistair Moffat completed a BSc(Honors) and PhD in 1979 and 1986 respectively, both at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. Since then he has been a member of the academic staff at the University of Melbourne, where he holds an appointment as Professor of Computer Science (2002). Alistair was Head of the University's Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering for a five-year term from 2007 to 2011, and Associate Dean (Curriculum) in the Melbourne School of Engineering during the period 2007-2009.
Alistair has extensive research interests in the areas of text and index compression, source coding methods, and information retrieval. He is an author of three books (Managing Gigabytes, 1994 and 1999; Compression and Coding Algorithms, 2002; and Programming, Problem Solving and Abstraction with C, 2003); and of more than 150 refereed technical papers. Alistair has also served roles as Chair and Program Chair of a range of conferences, and as an Associate Editor of research journals, including Journal of Information Retrieval, and ACM Transactions on Information Systems.
Alistair was awarded an Australian Carrick Citation for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the first round of these awards in 2006, and has also been recognized within the University for his teaching contributions. In 2010, he received a Teaching Award from the Melbourne School of Engineering for excellence in teaching, and in recognition of his role as principal architect of the School of Engineering's response to the Melbourne Model changes undertaken between 2006 and 2009.
Alistair has served a term on the ARC College of Experts (2003-2005); was a member of the 2012 New Zealand PBRF Panel; and has been a member of a wide range of review and accreditation committees, both internal and external to the University.
- Gog S, Beller T, Moffat A, Petri M. From Theory to Practice: Plug and Play with Succinct Data Structures. . Springer International Publishing. 2014, Vol. 8504.
- Graham Y, Baldwin TJ, Moffat A, Zobel J. Is Machine Translation Getting Better over Time?. . ACL Anthology. 2014.
- Gog S, Moffat A, Culpepper JS, Turpin AH, Wirth AI. Large-Scale Pattern Search Using Reduced-Space On-Disk Suffix Arrays. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. IEEE Computer Society. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 8.
- Lim C, Moffat A, Wirth AI. Lazy and Eager Approaches for the Set Cover Problem. . Australian Computer Society. 2014, Vol. 147.
- Canovas R, Moffat A, Turpin AH. Lossy compression of quality scores in genomic data. Bioinformatics. Oxford University Press. 2014, Vol. 30, Issue 15.
- Petri M, Moffat A, Culpepper JS. Score-Safe Term Dependency Processing With Hybrid Indexes. . ACM Press. 2014.
- Gog S, Moffat A, Petri M. Strategic Pattern Search in Factor-Compressed Text. . Springer. 2014, Vol. 8799.
- Moffat A, Gog S. String search experimentation using massive data. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A - Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. Royal Society of London. 2014, Vol. 372.
- Gog S, Moffat A. Adding Compression and Blended Search to a Compact Two-Level Suffix Array. . Springer Verlag. 2013, Vol. 8214.
- Scholer F, Moffat A, Thomas P. Choices in Batch Information Retrieval Evaluation. . ACM Press. 2013.
- Graham Y, Baldwin TJ, Moffat A, Zobel J. Continuous Measurement Scales in Human Evaluation of Machine Translation. . ACL Anthology. 2013.
- Graham Y, Baldwin TJ, Moffat A, Zobel J. Crowd-Sourcing of Human Judgments of Machine Translation Fluency. . ACL Anthology. 2013, Vol. 11.
- Petri M, Culpepper JS, Moffat A. Exploring the Magic of WAND. . ACM Press. 2013.
- Thomas P, Scholer F, Moffat A. Fading Away: Dilution and User Behaviour. . 2013, Vol. 1033.
- Canovas R, Moffat A. Practical Compression for Multi-Alignment Genomic Files. . Australian Computer Society. 2013, Vol. 135.
Level: 09 Room: 9.26
Doug Mcdonell Building, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83441325
F: +61 3 93494596
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile