Dr Timothy Miller
- Artificial intelligence (Intelligent agents and multi-agent systems)
- Modelling and simulation of complex systems (Simulation of economic markets)
- Software Engineering
Dr Tim Miller is a senior lecturer (equivalent to assistant professor) in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne.
Dr Miller received his PhD in 2005 from the University of Queensland. He spent four years at the University of Liverpool, UK, as a software engineer and postdoctoral researcher associate in the Agent ART group. In 2008, he moved to Melbourne to take up his current post. Tim's primary interest lies in the area of software engineering for intelligent systems, especially multi-agent systems, and modelling and simulation using intelligent agents. For recognition of his hard work in successfully implementing problem-based learning in much of his teaching, In 2011, Tim received an Excellence in Teaching award from the Melbourne School of Engineering, which complemented his Excellence in Teaching awards from the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering in 2009 and 2011.
- Miller T, Pedell S, Lopez-Lorca AA, Mendoza A, Sterling L, Keirnan A. Emotion-led modelling for people-oriented requirements engineering: The case study of emergency systems. JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS AND SOFTWARE. Elsevier. 2015, Vol. 105.
- Singh R, Miller T, Sonenberg E. A Preliminary Analysis of Interdependence in Multiagent Systems. 17th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Multi-Agent Systems (PRIMA). Springer Verlag. 2014, Vol. 8861. Editors: Dam HK, Pitt J, Xu Y, Governatori G, Ito T.
- Von Der Osten F, Kirley M, Miller T. Anticipatory stigmergic collision avoidance under noise. 2014 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO). ACM Press. 2014.
- Felli P, Miller T, Muise C, Pearce A, Sonenberg E. Artificial Social Reasoning: Computational Mechanisms for Reasoning about Others. 6th International Conference on Social Robotics (ICSR). Springer Verlag. 2014, Vol. 8755. Editors: Beetz M, Johnston B, Williams MA.
- Abushark Y, Thangarajah J, Miller T, Harland J. Checking Consistency of Agent Designs Against Interaction Protocols for Early-Phase Defect Location. International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS). ACM Press. 2014.
- Abushark Y, Winikoff M, Miller T, Harland J, Thangarajah J. Checking The Correctness of Agent Designs Against Model-Based Requirements. 21ST EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (ECAI 2014). IOS Press. 2014, Vol. 263. Editors: Schaub T, Friedrich G, Osullivan B.
- Pfau J, Miller T, Sonenberg E. Modelling and Using Common Ground in Human-agent Collaboration during Spacecraft Operations. Proceedings of SpaceOps 2014 Conference. 2014.
- Lopez-Lorca AA, Miller T, Pedell S, Mendoza A, Keirnan A, Sterling L. One size doesn't fit all: diversifying "the user" using personas and emotional scenarios. 6th International Workshop on Social Software Engineering (SSE). ACM Press. 2014. Editors: Lanubile F, Ali R.
- Miller T, Lu B, Sterling L, Beydoun G, Taveter K. Requirements Elicitation and Specification Using the Agent Paradigm: The Case Study of an Aircraft Turnaround Simulator. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2014, Vol. 40, Issue 10.
- Davis H, Pedell S, Lorca AL, Miller T, Sterling L. Researchers As Proxies for Informal Carers: Photo Sharing with Older Adults to Mediate Wellbeing. 26th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference (OzCHI). 2014.
- Pedell S, Miller T, Vetere F, Sterling L, Howard S. Socially-Oriented Requirements Engineering: Software Engineering Meets Ethnography. Perspectives on Culture and Agent-based Simulations: Integrating Cultures. Springer International Publishing. 2014. Editors: Dignum V, Dignum F.
- Pedell S, Vetere F, Miller T, Howard S, Sterling L. Tools for Participation: Intergenerational Technology Design for the Home. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DESIGN. National Taiwan University. 2014, Vol. 8, Issue 2.
- Miller T, McBurney P. Efficient storage and retrieval in agent protocol libraries using subsumption hierarchies. Multiagent and Grid Systems. IOS Press. 2013, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Padgham L, Zhang Z, Thangarajah J, Miller T. Model-Based Test Oracle Generation for Automated Unit Testing of Agent Systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2013, Vol. 39, Issue 9.
- Mendoza A, Miller T, Pedell S, Sterling L. The role of users’ emotions and associated quality goals on appropriation of systems: two case studies. 24th Australasian Conference on Information Systems. AISel. 2013.
Level: 06 Room: 6.09
Doug Mcdonell Building, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83441318
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile