Professor Richard Sinnott
- IT security (authentication, authorisation, auditing and accounting systems)
- biomedical IT systems (bioinformatics, life science data management)
- clinical IT systems (biobanking, clinical trials, epidemiology, disease registries)
- eResearch across multiple application areas (security, HPC, data management, distributed systems)
- engineering IT systems (large scale supercomputing / Grids)
- public health IT systems (social, clinical, geospatial, environmental systems)
- social science IT systems (social simulation, microdata)
- software engineering (real time systems, formal methods, distributed systems)
Director of eResearch at the University of Melbourne since July 2010 and Professor of Applied Computing Systems in Computing and Information Systems Department, Melbourne School of Engineering. In these roles he is responsible for all aspects of eResearch (research-oriented IT development) at the University. He has been lead software engineer/architect on an extensive portfolio of national and international projects, with specific focus on those research domains requiring finer-grained access control (security).
Prior to this position he was Technical Director of the National e-Science Centre at the University of Glasgow, Scotland and Director of e-Science at Glasgow. In these roles he was responsible for organising and administrating both UK wide work and local Glasgow University activities associated with e-Science. He also held the position of Deputy Technical Director for the Bioinformatics Research Centre at the University of Glasgow and Technical Manager of the National Centre for e-Social Science (based in Manchester). He was involved in many applications-oriented projects applying a wide variety of Grid/eResearch based technologies (see below).
Richard ran his own software consultancy company in the area of real time telecommunication systems and was a senior research scientist for several years based in Berlin, Germany. He was also editor of several international computing standards (ITU-T X904). He has over 150 publications covering all aspects of computing science: from theoretical computing science; real time systems; security and more recently in eResearch and its applications. Richard currently lectures in cloud computing.
- Kozhirbayev Z, Sinnott R. A performance comparison of container-based technologies for the Cloud. FUTURE GENERATION COMPUTER SYSTEMS-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ESCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 68.
- Hussain S, Sinnott R, Poet R. A security-oriented workflow framework for collaborative environments. 15th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom). 2017.
- Lu Y, Sinnott R, Verspoor C. A semantic-based k-anonymity scheme for health record linkage. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. IOS Press. 2017, Vol. 239.
- Pamporaki C, Hamplova B, Peitzsch M, Prejbisz A, Beuschlein F, Timmers HJLM, Fassnacht M, Klink B, Lodish M, Stratakis CA, Huebner A, Fliedner S, Robledo M, Sinnott R, Januszewicz A, Pacak K, Eisenhofer G. Characteristics of Pediatric vs Adult Pheochromocytomas and Paragangliomas. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM. Endocrine Society. 2017, Vol. 102, Issue 4.
- Sinnott R, Wang W. Estimating micro-populations through social media analytics. Social Network Analysis and Mining. Springer Wien. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1.
- Kanwal S, Khan FZ, Lonie A, Sinnott R. Investigating reproducibility and tracking provenance - A genomic workflow case study. BMC BIOINFORMATICS. Biomed Central. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Astuti D, Sabir A, Fulton P, Zatyka M, Williams D, Hardy C, Milan G, Favaretto F, Yu-Wai-man P, Rohayem J, Lopez De Heredia M, Hershey T, Tranebjaerg L, Chen J-H, Chaussenot A, Nunes V, Marshall B, McAfferty S, Tillmann V, Maffei P, Paquis-Flucklinger V, Geberhiwot T, Mlynarski W, Parkinson K, Picard V, Esteban Bueno G, Dias R, Arnold A, Richens C, Paisey R, Urano F, Semple R, Sinnott R, Barrett TG. Monogenic diabetes syndromes: Locus-specific databases for Alstrom, Wolfram, and Thiamine-responsive megaloblastic anemia. HUMAN MUTATION. Wiley-Liss. 2017, Vol. 38, Issue 7.
- Wang S, Sinnott R. Protecting personal trajectories of social media users through differential privacy. COMPUTERS & SECURITY. Elsevier Advanced Technology. 2017, Vol. 67.
- Lu Y, Sinnott R. Semantic privacy-preserving framework for electronic health record linkage. Telematics and Informatics. 2017.
- Lu Y, Sinnott R. Semantic-based privacy protection of electronic health records for collaborative research. 15th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom). 2017.
- Phelan H, Clapin H, Bruns L, Cameron F, Cotterill AM, Couper JJ, Davis EA, Donaghue KC, Jefferies CA, King BR, Sinnott R, Tham EB, Wales JK, Jones TW, Craig ME. The Australasian Diabetes Data Network: first national audit of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. MEDICAL JOURNAL OF AUSTRALIA. Australasian Medical Publishing Co Ltd. 2017, Vol. 206, Issue 3.
- Gong Y, Morandini L, Sinnott R. The Design and Benchmarking of a Cloud-based Platform for Processing and Visualization of Traffic Data. 2017 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BIG DATA AND SMART COMPUTING (BIGCOMP). IEEE. 2017.
- Sinnott R, Duan H, Sun Y. A Case Study in Big Data Analytics: Exploring Twitter Sentiment Analysis and the Weather. Big Data Principles and Paradigms. 2016.
- Azhar AH, Mohamad MS, Deris S, Napis S, Sinnott R. A hybrid of ant colony optimization and flux variability analysis to improve the production of L-phenylalanine and biohydrogen. International Journal of Advances in Soft Computing and its Applications. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 2.
- Sinnott R, Voorsluys W. A scalable Cloud-based system for data-intensive spatial analysis. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL ON SOFTWARE TOOLS FOR TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2016, Vol. 18, Issue 6.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile