Professor Justin Zobel
- Algorithms and data structures
- Bioinformatics and health informatics
- Research methods
- Search engines and information retrieval
Professor Justin Zobel is Head of the Department of Computing & Information Systems. He received his PhD from the University of Melbourne and for many years was based in the School of CS&IT at RMIT University, where he led the Search Engine group. In 2007-8 he was a Principle Senior Researcher in NICTA, leading the Computing in Health area, and in 2010 and again in 2015 was interim Director of the Victorian Life Sciences Computation Initiative.
Prof Zobel is an associate editor of the International Journal of Information Retrieval and of and Information Processing & Management, and in 2008-9 was President of the CORE association of Australasian Departments & Schools of Computer Science. In the research community, he is best known for his role in the development of algorithms for efficient text retrieval. He is the author of "Writing for Computer Science", third edition, and co-author of "How to Write a Better Thesis", third edition and "How to Write a Better Minor Thesis". His interests include search, bioinformatics, fundamental data structures, and research methods.
- Choi M, Zobel J, Verspoor C. A categorical analysis of coreference resolution errors in biomedical texts. JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL INFORMATICS. Academic Press. 2016, Vol. 60.
- Choi M, Liu H, Baumgartner W, Zobel J, Verspoor C. Coreference resolution improves extraction of Biological Expression Language statements from texts. DATABASE-THE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL DATABASES AND CURATION. Oxford University Press. 2016, Vol. 2016.
- Goeuriot L, Jones GJF, Kelly L, Mueller H, Zobel J. Medical information retrieval: introduction to the special issue. INFORMATION RETRIEVAL. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2016, Vol. 19, Issue 1-2.
- Wick RR, Schultz M, Zobel J, Holt K. Bandage: Interactive visualization of de novo genome assemblies. Bioinformatics. Oxford University Press. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 20.
- Graham Y, Baldwin T, Moffat A, Zobel J. Can machine translation systems be evaluated by the crowd alone. Natural Language Engineering. Cambridge University Press. 2015.
- Chen Q, Zobel J, Verspoor C. Evaluation of a machine learning duplicate detection method for bioinformatics databases. DTMBIO 2015 - Proceedings of the ACM 9th International Workshop on Data and Text Mining in Biomedical Informatics, co-located with CIKM 2015. 2015.
- Goudey B, Abedini M, Hopper J, Inouye M, Makalic E, Schmidt D, Wagner J, Zhou Z, Zobel J, Reumann M. High performance computing enabling exhaustive analysis of higher order single nucleotide polymorphism interaction in Genome Wide Association Studies.. Health Inf Sci Syst. 2015, Vol. 3, Issue Suppl 1 HISA Big Data in Biomedicine and Healthcare 2013 Con.
- Abraham G, Tye Din J, Bhalala O, Kowalczyk A, Zobel J, Inouye M. Accurate and Robust Genomic Prediction of Celiac Disease Using Statistical Learning. PLoS Genetics. Public Library of Science. 2014, Vol. 10, Issue 2.
- Choi M, Verspoor C, Zobel J. Analysis of Coreference Relations in the Biomedical Literature. Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop 2014 (ALTA). 2014. Editors: Ferraro G, Wan S.
- Tong J, Wirth A, Zobel J. Blended dictionaries for reduced-memory lempel-ziv corpus compression. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2014, Vol. 27-28-November-2014.
- Tong J, Wirth A, Zobel J. Compact auxiliary dictionaries for incremental compression of large repositories. CIKM 2014 - Proceedings of the 2014 ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management. 2014.
- Choi M, Verspoor C, Zobel J. Evaluation of coreference resolution for biomedical text. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2014, Vol. 1276.
- Graham Y, Baldwin T, Moffat A, Zobel J. Is Machine Translation Getting Better over Time?. 14th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL). ACL Anthology. 2014.
- Goeuriot L, Jones GJF, Kelly L, MÜller H, Zobel J. MedIR14: Medical information retrieval workshop. SIGIR 2014 - Proceedings of the 37th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. 2014.
- Tong J, Wirth A, Zobel J. Principled Dictionary Pruning for Low-Memory Corpus Compression. 37th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR). ACM Press. 2014.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile